I was afraid. Very afraid. The stench of childhood torture-by-brussels sprouts pervading our home. My mother, who was a wonderful cook, just couldn’t manage the brussels sprouts. How many of you have that same smelly memory emblazoned in your brains? The over-cooked miniature cabbages have developed a bad rap and for good reason. But this recipe ain’t your mamma’s brussels sprouts.
Ingredients: Brussels sprouts; bacon, feta cheese, eggs, milk, salt, pepper, olive oil (for roasting)
Pre-heat oven to 400 F
12 brussels sprouts; 1/2 Cup crumbled bacon; 1 Cup crumbled feta cheese,; 4 eggs; 1/4 Cup 2% milk; olive-oil for roasting the sprouts.
1. Bring a pot of salted water to boil; and place brussels sprouts in the water for approximately 8 minutes
2. Drain sprouts and cut in half; brush with olive oil, as well as pouring a small amount (2Tbs.) of oil in the pan, and roast in the oven for 10 minutes or until they develop a nice toasty brown color on the cut side.
3. Mix eggs, milk and feta cheese together; season to taste with pepper, lots of pepper.
4. Place sprouts in a glass dish (square/round/pie tin) and pour the milk/egg/cheese mixture over them.
5. Place in pre-heated 400 F degree oven for 25 minutes or until the egg mixture is firm and well cooked.
This dish makes for a great brunch or lunch main course. Serve with chopped salad of tomatoes, red onions and cucumbers with a vinaigrette such as Brianna’s French-style vinaigrette.